TBS 5980 USB Issues

Report here any bugs you found
iz3qfg

TBS 5980 USB Issues

Post by iz3qfg »

Hello, i' have a TBS 5980 USB.
I have more problem to using this card with AltDVB 2.3.
If i tune a txp i regular view this channel. But if i move my dish and i return to the sat, this channels give me no signal.
This is very strange because other txps of this sat is tune properly (the indication of the signal is not real...).

I use TBS 5980 driver version 1.0.3.3.
altxro
Site Admin

Re: TBS 5980 USB Issues

Post by altxro »

I don't understand exactly what is the problem; could be related to DiSEQc issue from TBS drivers ?
Try to tune another frequency then go back to previous transponder.
iz3qfg

Post by iz3qfg »

Yes, i think.
I have try to use dev_bda2driver_v0.2.0.22 and all work properly.
(only the signal display is not high, but all work fine).

Thanks
crazycat

Post by crazycat »

BDA interface wrapper for AltDVB v2.3 available
https://github.com/crazycat69/AltBDA2/r ... g/v0.2.3.3
iz3qfg

Post by iz3qfg »

I have installed the last driver proposed by crazycat and work fine.
I have only a trouble. If i'm at 13°E and i select a channel of another sat (i have a motorized dish with Stab Usals), dish rotate properly but AltDVB not tune the channel (ex. Channel on 10803H at 16E). If i select another channel of another txp (10845H on 16E), tune is ok, and if i return to the channel at 10803H the tune is OK.
Mr. Orbita

Post by Mr. Orbita »

OK, now I think I understand the root cause of issue you are facing.

Steps:
- motorized dish
- change channel to service from other satellite position
- AltDVB is locking channel
- DiSEqC command is issued to motor
- satellite dish is moving
- channel is already locked by AltDVB
- when satellite dish arrives at correct position, no relock is happening, so despite that dish is now at a correct position - still no signal
- user needs to relock (change transponder) to "wake up" device

Am I right?

Basically different devices working in different ways regarding this, sometimes drivers are keeping tuner/demod in warm state, so when dish is moving, device is still ready to "regain" signal just when dish position will be right. For other devices tuner/demod are in cold state, one lock attempt is made and if it will fail, device will stuck without signal until next manual relock attempt.

Patrially that's a device/driver thing, probably TBS 5980 is not ready for auto-relock. I remember, that I have faced similar issue when I changed device from TBS 6983 to 6903. 6983 was able to automatically regain signal on dish moving (and that was extremely useful for me to fine-tune dish) and 6903 not.

I saw that in some DVB apps there are workarounds for such devices, settings to:
- add delay for sending lock request, if dish needs to be moved
- add relock attempts every xxxx ms (but it need to be clarified here, that relocks might occur over and over if lock will be made for transponder, which has got really no signal and some devices can make a little bit freeze every failed lock attempt, so this might be annoying)

Because I think that DVB cards are not able to detect if dish is still moving or already arrived at desired position, this issue might be not easy to resolve, but maybe I just got no idea ;)
iz3qfg

Post by iz3qfg »

Yes, Mr. Orbit, what you wrote is right. That's exactly what I was trying to explain. :)
crazycat

Post by crazycat »

BDA2 module have Relock timeout option 0-10 sec (RelockTime in Devices\Dev_Bda2Driver.cfg ). You can change it from Device config dialog in AltDVB (Infos -> Device Info/config) or Config button in AltDVB Device server.
iz3qfg

Post by iz3qfg »

Thanks a lot crazycat!
With this feature working fine! I have set relock time to 5 and it is all ok!
crazycat

Post by crazycat »

Introduced especial for STV090x-based DVB devices + motor :)